Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Visualizing Numbers


One thing math teachers learn is that it is important for children to be able to represent and visualize numbers in different ways. Last spring when I went to the conference for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, I heard a lot about visualizing numbers in a variety of sessions, including one on Singapore math and ones presented by Marilyn Burns and others from Math Solutions. (For more about my thoughts on the NCTM conference see http://skyclassjoanmath.blogspot.com/2009/04/nctm-meeting-in-washington-dc.html and http://skyclassjoanmath.blogspot.com/2009/04/marilyn-burns-and-more.html )

Lisa Rogers from Math Solutions presented a session I enjoyed on developing number sense. One model she shared for visualizing numbers is using ten-frames. It's a model that helps students regroup numbers within our base 10 number system. I have done several mini-lessons with my math group using the overhead projector to introduce them to ten-frames. I have drawn ideas from Susan Scharton's book, Teaching Number Sense- Grade 2. The children have responded with enthusiasm and have been becoming more articulate in describing how they see and manipulate numbers with ten-frames.

No comments: